When it comes to your garage door, you need to maintain the same in pristine condition so that it can last you for a long while. You can install a simple manual garage door or an automatic garage door with advanced functionality. But whichever option you choose, you would still need to check, clean your garage door often and ensure that you maintain it in perfect condition. Check out some of the maintenance tips posted below,
- Pay attention: The first thing that you need to do is to pay attention to the garage door each time you open or close it. Check to see if the garage door motion is seamless or is it jerky or shaking from side to side. Does it operate without making a noise or does it cause a weird humming sound or a loud grinding noise each time you open or close it? If that’s the case, then that’s indicative that something’s gone wrong with your door and these are early signs of the same.
- Check the door: You need to realize the fact that in all likelihood you would have opened and closed your garage door thousands of times in a single month. And that’s all the more reason that you should inspect your garage door often and check to see if any of the hardware is loose or if it continues to function seamlessly.
- Check the balance: If your garage door is not properly balanced or is on a tilt, then your garage door would be a little harder to operate. Furthermore, the tilt would place additional stress on your door which would eventually impact the functioning of door itself. So make sure that your door is properly balanced at all times and does not tilt to one side or the other.
- Inspect the rollers: Every automatic garage door comes with rollers on the top. It is these rollers that make it possible to open and close the garage door seamlessly. You need to inspect these rollers often and get them replaced every 5 to 7 years to ensure that your garage door works seamlessly.
- Weather stripping: Weather stripping is the rubber strip that pans the bottom of your garage door. Its main function is to form a tight seal with the floor and prevent outside elements from getting into the garage. Make a point of checking out the weather stripping and it happens to be brittle or cracked, then you need to get the same replaced right away.
- Lubricate: It goes without saying that you need to keep your garage door well lubricated at all times. You need to make sure that all the moving parts are well greased so that the garage door can open and close smoothly.
- Check your cables: You need to get your cables checked but try not to handle this part on your own. Instead call in a professional and ask him to check your garage door. Remember that these are electric cables and mishandling them, can lead to accidents. Make sure that the cables are working as they are supposed to and in case of any issues, get them fixed right away.
- Clear the tracks: One of the reasons that your garage door is not working properly is on account of the fact that there could be some debris on the tracks on either side of the door. This can impact the smooth functioning of your garage door. Make sure that your garage door tracks are clean and well maintained so that your garage door can operate smoothly.
These are a few tips to simple garage door maintenance; make sure that you follow some of the tips and suggestions listed above. And by taking care of your garage door and maintaining it properly, you should be able to make it last for a really long time.